Linux - RStudio won't start

Error Information:

Failed to execute child process "usr/bin/rstudio" (No such file or directory)

Description of issue - RStudio will not start - fresh installation of R and RStudio - in MX-linux

Attempted steps taken to fix - Have installed/uninstalled R-base-core (v 333.1) and reinstalled from synaptic.
R runs fine at command line in terminal.
Installed .deb RStudio from RStudio website Download RStudio - RStudio v 1.22.5033-amd64 using gdebi.
Did not run. Uninstalled - purge - using dpkg.
Reinstalled using dkpg, no improvement. Uninstalled and tried earlier 0.99.903-amd64 version. Got error listed above.
Have search all online help and blogs, cannot locate any config or profile files, or binaries. RStudio appears in start menu, but cannot find it elsewhere in my system.
I don't know where it has been installed.
(I have used RStudio on other linux distros in the past and on windows without any problems)

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: (Desktop)
  • RStudio Version: 0.99.903-amd64, 1.22.5033-amd64
  • OS Version: Linux 4.19.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.37-2~mx17+1 (2019-05-15)
  • R Version: 3.3.3 (2017-03-06) -- "Another Canoe"
  • Output your diagnostics report (if possible): Failed to execute child process "usr/bin/rstudio" (No such file or directory)

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

Hi, and welcome!

Please see the FAQ: What's a reproducible example (`reprex`) and how do I do one? Using a reprex, complete with representative data will attract quicker and more answers for future reference.

My first suggestion is to catch up on both R (now at 3.6.2) and RStudio ,now at at least 1.3.

Thanks for the tip. I'm having to do a full upgrade of my software repositories first. The MXlinux repositories seem to be way old.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.