LidR package does not work on Mac m1

I was able to install the Lidr packages, but now the problem is that when plotting the process never ends.

Under R4.2, I installed lidr, taking the binary option for two dependencies, but the terra package required compilation, and that failed. I've given up on trying to fix compilation errors on macOS because of the maintenance overhead on its toolchain.

So should I forget about running R on Mac or is the solution to use an older version?

thanks

I wouldn't go so far as to give up on R. The m1 compilation woes aren't constant; many packages requiring compilation work fine. For updates, I usually wait (selecting the earlier binary version option) to see if Simon Urbanek and his team do the heavy lifting.

Ubuntu has Mint, which allows running RStudio under a virtual machine. It wasn't too hard to set up. You might also try Rstudio Cloud, which provides the RStudio IDE through a web interface.

I was able to install the lidR package but when I run the plot, it stays running for a long time and never finishes.
This is the message I get when activating the library :
library("lidR")
lidR 4.0.1 using 1 threads. Help on <gis.stackexchange.com>. Bug report on <GitHub - r-lidar/lidR: Airborne LiDAR data manipulation and visualisation for forestry application>.

Attaching package: ‘lidR’

The following objects are masked from ‘package:raster’:

projection, projection<- 

also these are the messages I get in the rgdal library:

library("rgdal")
Please note that rgdal will be retired by the end of 2023,
plan transition to sf/stars/terra functions using GDAL and PROJ
at your earliest convenience.

rgdal: version: 1.5-30, (SVN revision 1171)
Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 3.4.2, released 2022/03/08
Path to GDAL shared files: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/rgdal/gdal
GDAL binary built with GEOS: FALSE
Loaded PROJ runtime: Rel. 8.2.1, January 1st, 2022, [PJ_VERSION: 821]
Path to PROJ shared files: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/rgdal/proj
PROJ CDN enabled: FALSE
Linking to sp version:1.4-6
To mute warnings of possible GDAL/OSR exportToProj4() degradation,
use options("rgdal_show_exportToProj4_warnings"="none") before loading sp or rgdal.

Attaching package: ‘rgdal’

The following object is masked from ‘package:terra’:

project

and lastly in terra libraries:

library("terra")
terra 1.5.21

Attaching package: ‘terra’

The following object is masked from ‘package:ggplot2’:

arrow

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.