LibSSL trouble while installing RStudio on Ubuntu - libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file...

On Ubuntu, I have R-base installed and working. I downloaded and installed the .deb package for RStudio but now get this error when trying to run it:

rstudio: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I installed libssl 1.0 seperatly following these instructions from the community [1] but after following the commands I still am getting the same error.

[1] Rstudio Not Working on Ubuntu 18.04 -- libssl.so.1.0.2: No such file or directory

If you've verified that the library is installed, use $ which to confirm that it is in your $PATH environment, otherwise RStudio won't be able to find it.

1 Like

thank you! Can you please say how to add libssl1.0.0 to my path? thanks!

Turns out to be a bit more complicated, because the library is obsolete, apparently, and probably installed in a non-standard location. But the bigger problem is that RStudio shouldn't require it, so the deb installation may have fetched you an out-of-date version.

Go directly to RStudio.com to download the deb file. I'm on a slightly different flavor of Ubunto and an HTML-initiated download prompts for an installer. Circle back if you have problems.

Thank you so much technocrat.

I have downloaded the .deb from this site, uninstalled and reinstalled everything but still get the error.

Can you describe how I can add (force rstudio to use) libssl1.0.0 to my path?

I'll uninstall RStudio on one of my Ubuntu machines to see if I can reproduce the problem and then fix it.

What was the name of the .deb package you downloaded? There are different downloads of RStudio for different flavors of Ubuntu; you need to make sure to get the one for Ubuntu 18 (Bionic). Here's a direct link:

https://download1.rstudio.org/desktop/bionic/amd64/rstudio-1.3.1073-amd64.deb

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.