Larger File Size

I have an assignment that required me to work with a .csv file that is about 60MB. How do I do this? It says the limit is 5MB.

Hi @Daisy_Garner -

Can you clarify where you're working where "the limit is 5MB"?

Best,
Randy

See screenshot, please. I am working in the cloud on an .rmd file.

Thanks, that clarifies things.

I believe what you are witnessing is RStudio trying to save you from opening a data file in the code editor. In this case, because you have 80+ MBs of json, you'll probably want to read it into a dataframe...then use the dataframe viewer to explore the data.

Alternatively, to view the beginning of the file just to see what is in it before trying to read it into a dataframe, you could use the Terminal window and type the command head News_Category_Dataset_v3.json. That will give you the first 10 lines or so for you to understand what is in the file.

Best,
Randy

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile: I appreciate the help. I hope we are able to upload larger file sizes in the future!

1 Like

Like I said, I'm pretty sure that setting is a safeguard, so that you don't try and open the wrong type of file in the code editor. So I'm not sure it will ever change; reading the data into a DF, then viewing it that way or using the head command like I show allows for using as much data as you'd like (up to the machine limits of RAM)

Thank you! I will try that next time.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.