Integer values are between the maximum and minimum heights

Which integer values are between the maximum and minimum heights? For example, if the minimum height is 10.2 and the maximum height is 20.8, your answer should be x <- 11:20 to capture the integers in between those values. (If either the maximum or minimum height are integers, include those values too.)

Write code to create a vector x that includes the integers between the minimum and maximum heights.
Someone can help?

Isn't it your homework though? Shouldn't you try ?

If applicable, please review FAQ: Homework Policy.

round(1.11,0)

rounds down to the integer.

my_vector <- seq(min,max,by = 1) # curses, autocorrect!

gives a vector of the values, including min and max

my_vector [2:endpoint]

To solve: what function returns the position of the last value in my_vector?

What would you change in the second part?

I tryied, but o was lost in how do I need to do it =/

1 Like

Thats what I tryid...
x <- seq(min(heights$height), max(heights$height), by = 0.1)
median(x)
I am new and trying to understand how did he got 11:20 between 10.2 ~ 20.8. I do not need the answer, I just need to understand how can I do it.

Good question. Weren't you trying to get to the numbers of integers that are bigger than 11 and less than 20? Let that be n = 8. What happens if you take by equal to 0.1? Does that give you c(12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19) , n = 8?

You might find the floor() and ceiling() functions useful.

x <- as.integer(min(heights$height)):as.integer(max(heights$height))

still wrong =/

Learners of R (very much including myself), fall prey to making things more complicated than they need to be. So let's start with what we have, and what we want and let that lead us to the right question.

What we have is two real numbers -- 10.2 and 20.8. But, of course, it doesn't have to be those specific numbers. This a good time to bring up the essence of using R

f(x) = y

Yes, just like school algebra -- functions.

Unlike school algebra, in R, x is an object, which can be as simple as a single integer or very complicated, indeed. What object should we start with here?

We know that the objects that this thread started with are two real numbers, but where did they come from?

Here's a vector with similar values

v <- seq(10,20,by = 0.1)
head(v)
#> [1] 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5

Created on 2020-02-16 by the reprex package (v0.3.0)

Let's create a function to extract another object, with the min and max values

v <- seq(10,20,by = 0.1)
find_min_max <- function(x) {c(min(v),max(v))}
find_min_max(v)
#> [1] 10 20

We can trim v to make it look more like your original object

v <- seq(10,20,by = 0.1)
find_min_max <- function(x) {c(min(v),max(v))}
v <- v[2:(length(v)-1)]
my_vec <- find_min_max(v)
my_vec
#> [1] 10.1 19.9

Now, we have an object my_vec with two real numbers (that are not integers), and it doesn't matter what real numbers you started with. Notice that in f(x) = y, we've given as an argument x = v and got back y or , my\_vec.

What should we do with our bright, shiny new object?

First, we want to find the set of all integers, i, such that min(my\_vec) < i < max(my\_vec).

Then, we want to see the set of all integers, i, such that min(my\_vec) <= i <= max(my\_vec).

Let's walk through the first, and leave the second as an exercise to the reader (I just loved seeing that when I was a student!)

Recall that we have an object, my_vec with two real numbers. In their object of origin, v, there were a number of real numbers between the min and max, but not all of them were integers. So, how to we find those that were?

Or do we care?

No, we can make 11.1 into 11, using floor() as @joels suggested.

This was the motivation behind my suggestion to create a vector using round(x),1). We have two choices: starting with my_vector we can fill in the integers or, starting with v, we can convert to integers, using floor().

If we use floor, we come up with multiple identical integers. But, we have unique() that we can use to collapse them.

v <- seq(10,20,by = 0.1)
unique(floor(v))
#>  [1] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Now, the only question to be answered for your problem is

Does this solve the first problem or the second problem?

1 Like

This solve my understanding problem hahaha, thank you!!

This should works, but not acceptable as correct answer in your test. Also have no idea how to pass it
x<-ceiling(min(heights$height)):max(heights$height)

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.