Installing tidyverse on old version of RStudio 1.3.1093 MacOS10.13

Hi,
All of a sudden my RStudio gives me a prompt saying Tidyverse (among other packages) is not installed and asked me to install it. When I run the command install.packages("tidyverse"), it gives me this error here (screenshot):

Also here is the code it shows.

> install.packages("tidyverse")
also installing the dependencies ‘fastmap’, ‘sass’, ‘cachem’, ‘bslib’, ‘fontawesome’, ‘htmltools’, ‘jquerylib’, ‘memoise’, ‘timechange’, ‘systemfonts’, ‘textshaping’, ‘vroom’, ‘tzdb’, ‘rmarkdown’, ‘stringi’, ‘conflicted’, ‘haven’, ‘lubridate’, ‘ragg’, ‘readr’, ‘readxl’, ‘reprex’, ‘stringr’, ‘tidyr’

Warning in install.packages :
  unable to access index for repository http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.6:
  cannot open URL 'http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.6/PACKAGES'
Packages which are only available in source form, and may need compilation of
  C/C++/Fortran: ‘fastmap’ ‘sass’ ‘cachem’ ‘htmltools’ ‘timechange’ ‘systemfonts’
  ‘textshaping’ ‘vroom’ ‘tzdb’ ‘stringi’ ‘haven’ ‘lubridate’ ‘ragg’ ‘readr’ ‘readxl’
  ‘tidyr’
Do you want to attempt to install these from sources? (Yes/no/cancel) 

When I typed Yes, it done a bunch of installation just to then give me over 50 different errors and of course, Tidyverse was not installed. Errors look something like this:

installation of package ‘tidyr’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependencies ‘cachem’, ‘htmltools’, ‘jquerylib’, ‘memoise’, ‘sass’ are not available for package ‘bslib’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/bslib’
  installation of package ‘bslib’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependency ‘memoise’ is not available for package ‘conflicted’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/conflicted’
  installation of package ‘conflicted’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependency ‘readr’ is not available for package ‘haven’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/haven’
  installation of package ‘haven’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependencies ‘bslib’, ‘fontawesome’, ‘htmltools’, ‘jquerylib’ are not available for package ‘rmarkdown’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/rmarkdown’
  installation of package ‘rmarkdown’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependency ‘rmarkdown’ is not available for package ‘reprex’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/reprex’
  installation of package ‘reprex’ had non-zero exit status
ERROR: dependencies ‘conflicted’, ‘haven’, ‘lubridate’, ‘ragg’, ‘readr’, ‘readxl’, ‘reprex’ are not available for package ‘tidyverse’
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/tidyverse’
  installation of package ‘tidyverse’ had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in
	‘/private/var/folders/7w/7f2j6_x17tng2nd9j0tdrjv0zhxr_4/T/RtmpF8npGL/downloaded_packages’
> library(tidyverse)
Error in library(tidyverse) : there is no package called ‘tidyverse’

I tried to install from the Terminal and it gave the same error. It did ask me to choose a CRAN server, I didn't know which one to choose so I just chose the one from my city but it didn't change anything.

Could someone please help me out with it? I need to run some code but this problem is just so out of nowhere and it's been driving me nuts.

Did you get any specific error messages indicating why package installations produced non-zero exit status? Frequently this occurs because a compilation tool or system package is missing.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.