Installation of rtracklayer fails

I can't seem to install rtracklayer on a clean posit.cloud instance using Rv4.4.0 or v4.4.1. The code is

install.packages("BiocManager")
BiocManager::install("rtracklayer", version = "3.19", update = FALSE)

There's all the installation output with the following lines at the end

installing to /cloud/lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.4/00LOCK-rtracklayer/00new/rtracklayer/libs
** R
** data
** demo
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Creating a generic function for 'offset' from package 'stats' in package 'rtracklayer'
Killed
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'rtracklayer'
* removing '/cloud/lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.4/rtracklayer'

The downloaded source packages are in
	'/tmp/RtmpgpsxXb/downloaded_packages'
Installation paths not writeable, unable to update packages
  path: /opt/R/4.4.1/lib/R/library
  packages:
    foreign, MASS, nlme, survival

Any suggestions to get around this?

Killed

usually means the OOM process killer on Linux. Do you have enough memory? Can you try adding more or creating a swap file?

Thanks, and that makes a lot of sense. This was a free instance I was hoping to use as a backup plan for an R Training workshop, in the case that local installations are problematic. Looks like posit cloud resources aren't suitable for that without paid accounts so I'll find another option. Much appreciated though.

Compilation of C++ programs might need a lot of memory. Typically much more than what is enough for a typical small web app.

If you want to use the small instances , you can look into building binary packages elsewhere, e.g. GitHub Actions, and then installing binaries on Posit Cloud.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.