I have a dataset containing multiple .text documents, how would I restructure it in the one-token-per-row format using unnest_tokens()?

Hey guys, I'm doing a project where I analyse Trumps speeches (text analysis).

My code looks like this:

# Read the files in
# lapply function returns a list the same length as the txt_files_ls
# Create a dataframe by reading in the table 
# Set the header to "F" as we will be adding this in later
# Separate the data using "sep="\t"" this means the data is tab delimited and from seperate documents
# read.table("file.txt", header=T/F, sep="\t") is an alternative to read.delim
txt_files_df_list <- lapply(txt_files_ls, function(x) {data.frame(read.table(file = x, header = F, sep ="\t", colnames(x)))})

# Combine them and set the column name to speech using the setName function 
# The do.call function constructs and executes a function call from a name or function in this case "r.bind"
combined_df <- setNames(do.call("rbind", txt_files_df_list),
                        c("Speech")) 

# Create an R object for the locations of speeches, listing them in the same order as they were inputted into the list 
location <- c("Bemidji", "Fayetteville", "Freeland", "Henderson", "Latrobe", "Minden", "Mosinee", "Ohio", "Pittsburgh", "Winston-Salem" )

# Using the dplyr package and the function mutate add in the new R object of the locations and create a new dataframe
combined_df_2 <- mutate(combined_df, Location= location)

# Create an R object for the dates of the speeches extracted from the file titles, place them in the same order as they were inputted into the list 
date <- c("2020-09-18", "2020-09-19", "2020-09-10", "2020-09-13", "2020-09-03", "2020-09-12", "2020-09-17", "2020-09-21", "2020-09-22", "2020-09-08")

# Transform the data into date data using the as_date function and adding the format of which the date is written 
date_2<- lubridate::as_date(date, '%Y-%m-%d')

# Again using the dplyr package and the mutate function add in the new R object of the dates with the new format of data
combined_df_3 <- mutate(combined_df_2, Date=date_2)

# Seeing the structure of the combined dataset to check that the speech and location columns are characters and the date column is date
str(combined_df_3)

view(combined_df_3)

My question is how would I break the text in to individual tokens and transform it to a tidy data structure.
How would I tokenize the dialogue, splitting each sentence in separate words?

When I try to do it myself with the code:

test_df <- combined_df_3 %>% 
  unnest_tokens(word, combined_df_3$Speech) 

I get the error :

Any guidance would be appreciated!
Also, if there's a way to somehow make my original code smaller, where I extract the name and date of the file name and put them into individual columns which contains the content of file(Speech), Location and date columns. That would also be helpful!

Hi!

I think you must only supply the column name as input argument in unnest_tokens. So this should work:

combined_df_3%>%
    unnest_tokens(word,speech) 

Does that help?

1 Like

I can’t believe I missed out on something so simple. I’ve been trying to figure it out for hours. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.