How to remove Tidyverse API from Google Drive Access

Hi, I am learning R and found the Tidyverse API package for taking data from Google Sheets and granted the Tidyverse API permissions to access my Google Drive. However, I have since found a method which does not need the Tidyverse API to access my Google Drive. Is there any way I can remove this?

I can't find Tidyverse on my 3rd-party apps page (https://myaccount.google.com/connections), but have an email saying the API "Has access to Google Docs." From the email my only two options are to approve ("Yes, it was me") or deny ("No, secure account"), but if I select "No" it requests I change the password, which I don't want to do. After a lengthy (1 hour) chat session with an assistant at Google tech support, they said there isn't a way on their end to remove the API access or a way for me to do it without changing my password.

Is there a way for Tinyverse to remove the API from my google drive, or a way outside of Google to do it? I guess ultimately there's no harm in leaving it but it's really kind of just a principle thing -- I'd rather not allow an API I'm not using to have access to my information.

Thanks

Hmm... I went to https://myaccount.google.com/security-checkup/, which showed a note that said

"1 app or service has some access to your Google Account

You gave this app or service some access to your Google Account,
including to info that might be sensitive. You can always remove this
access. Learn about the risks

Tidyverse API Packages

Has access to Google Docs
Remove access"

Clicking on Remove access didn't prompt me for a password, and revoved access. Afterwards, trying to use googlesheets in R showed that API access had indeed been revoked.

x <- read_sheet(url)
Auto-refreshing stale OAuth token.
Error in `gs4_get_impl_()`:
! Client error: (401)
  UNAUTHENTICATED
• Request not authenticated due to
  missing, invalid, or expired OAuth
  token.
• Request had invalid authentication
  credentials. Expected OAuth 2 access
  token, login cookie or other valid
  authentication credential. See
  https://developers.google.com/identity/sign-in/web/devconsole-project.
Run `rlang::last_trace()` to see where the error occurred.
Warning message:
Unable to refresh token: invalid_grant
• Token has been expired or revoked.

I have no idea why google thinks you need to change your password to do that. I didn't need to change mine.

1 Like

Interesting. After following through with the process and selecting "No, secure account" it gives me a message reading "Access granted to Tidyverse API Packages has been revoked. / If you didn't grant access, someone else is using your password to access your Google Account. You should change your password immediately." Options from there are "Cancel" or "Change password." I did this once yesterday and assumed cancel removed the request to take away API access. But I tried it again today and it seems to be working now?

Sorry for such a bizarre (and low-tech) issue but I think it's solved now. Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.