how can i move my r projects to a more structured and professional workflow in a server?

I use R daily to perform data analysis and create reports with Rmarkdown. I also use it a lot for the following pipeline: querying data, processing it and recording it in a spreadsheet in Google Sheets that feeds Dashboards in Google Data Studio. It turns out that all this I do on my machine, without any professional environment. I don't create virtual environments for better package management, for example. The update pipeline of several google sheets, for example, runs daily, automatically on my Windows machine (bat file).

A colleague wants us to start doing this now on the Linux server, in a virtual machine. Create an environment there and make it a little more professional. It turns out that I have no knowledge of Linux (I'll learn the basics in the next few days) and I don't know the best way to "orchestrate these Jobs" in R. For example, do I need Rstudio Server? Doing some research, I heard about chron. Would it be enough? Here, we have no team or structure. So I wanted to know where to look (materials for me to learn) and what would be the best way for me to make this a little more professional. I don't know how that works in an organized corporation that works with data. It doesn't have to be the most professional thing in the world, at least not right now.

I think the best answer to your question will depend on the environment you're working in. I have strong opinions on good ways to produce reproducible data science, but also, most of my work is done solo, and can be shared on a place like github. So, not really a best practice for your question.

I think one resource that might be useful is Posit's solutions engineering website and set of guides. It does have a strong bias towards Posit's professional products, but it's also is just a great resources to better understand topics like package dependency management, version control, CI/CD, auditing and monitoring in enterprise (complex, secure) environments.

1 Like

Totally unread but this may or may not help.
Workflow

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.