Help with a Montecarlo simulation

I have a sports league in which I want to calculate the promotion probabilities of each team according to their current situation and the remaining matches. First time playing with simulations.

The current standings are as follows:

1 D 61
2 B 58
3 G 57
4 R 54
5 P 53
6 C 49
7 A 45
8 U 42

The first column is the current position, the second the team and the third the points they have right now. Bearing in mind that there are seven games left to play (1 point more for draw, 3 for win), I want to find:

• Probabilities in percentage that each of the eight teams will finish in position 1.
  • Odds of each team in percentage of finishing between places 2 and 5.
  • Odds of each team finishing in 2nd place, 3rd place, 4th place and 5th place.

I understand that a Monte Carlo simulation would be the most appropriate.

My first steps:

teams <- c("D", "B", "G", "R", "P", "C", "A", "U")
initial_points <- c(61, 58, 57, 54, 53, 49, 45, 42)
remaining_games <- 7
num_simulations <- 10000

I have defined a function for simulation:

simulation <- function(starting_points, remaining_games, num_simulations) {
        results <- matrix(0, nrow = num_simulations, ncol = length(initial_points))

for (simulation in 1:num_simulations) {
                simulation_points <- initial_points

# We adjust the starting points according to the starting position of the teams.
                simulation_points <- simulation_points + sample(0:3, length(initial_points), replace = TRUE, prob = c(0.1, 0.3, 0.4, 0.2))

for (match in 1:remaining_games) {
                        match_results <- sample(0:3, length(initial_points), replace = TRUE, prob = c(0.1, 0.3, 0.4, 0.2))
                        simulation_points <- simulation_points + match_results
                }

results[simulation,] <- simulation_points
        }

return(results)
}

Then

# simulation run
simulation_results <- simulation(initial_points, remaining_games, num_simulations)

And

prob_A_team_position_1 <- sum(simulation_results[, 1] == max(simulation_results[, 1])) / num_simulations * 100
cat("A's probability to finish in 1st place:", prob_A_team_position_1, "%\n")
# P's probability to finish between 2nd and 5th place
prob_p_between_2_and_5 <- sum(simulation_results[, 5] >= max(simulation_results[, -1]) & simulation_results[, 5] < max(simulation_results[, -1])) / num_simulations * 100

cat("P's probability to finish between 2nd and 5th place:", prob_p_between_2_and_5, "%\n")

But this returns unrealistic data:

A's probability to finish in 1st place: 0.01 %
P's probability to finish between 2nd and 5th place: 0 %

Could you say more about how games proceed? Who plays whom? And how does the data influence who in a specific game would win?

It's a classic football competition. These eight teams play against other teams, whoever wins gets 3 points and if they draw 1. For the purposes of the simulation the specific opponents do not matter, only the possible outcomes.

I want to calculate all possible outcomes, I don't know if my approach to the problem is correct. From there, calculate the probabilities of team D finishing in first place, finishing between 2nd and 5th place and so on for all eight teams. I don't know if I have explained myself correctly.

What should the probabilities of winning and drawing be?

The chances of winning, drawing or losing each of the matches are the same, losing does not give points but is important for the final sum.

I dont see where you have attempted to include such logic

In your code,
max(simulation_results[, -1])
equals 80.

Were you expecting a row by row comparison?

This will get you most of the way there.

library(dplyr)
library(tidyr)
library(ggplot2)

sim_df <- as.data.frame(simulation_results)
names(sim_df) <- teams
sim_df <- sim_df %>% 
  mutate(run_num = 1:num_simulations) %>% 
  pivot_longer(., cols = 1:8,
               names_to = "team",
               values_to = "wins") %>% 
  group_by(run_num) %>% 
  mutate(maxwins = max(wins)) %>% 
  ungroup() %>% 
  group_by(run_num) %>% 
  mutate(rank = rank(-wins))

sim_df %>% 
  ggplot(aes(rank)) +
  geom_histogram() +
  facet_wrap(vars(team))

sim_df %>% 
  group_by(team) %>% 
  filter(rank == 1) %>% 
  summarise(pct = 100 * n()/ num_simulations)

team pct

1 B 13.3
2 D 66.7
3 G 7.11
4 P 0.15
5 R 0.67

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.