Getting Error "Error: right is not a string (length 1 character)" when running devtools::check()

Hi - I'm trying to build my first package and one of the errors I'm running into is that when I try to run devtools::check(), I'm getting an error I don't understand and I've become stuck. The error is Error: right is not a string (length 1 character). I don't think I have anything named right and when I google that error message I don't get any relevant results. I've attached the full output of the check() call below (the package is called ppscore).

I'm on a Windows 10 machine and I've been having other issues with Rtools being recognized by RStudio but not sure if that's related.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

> devtools::check()
Updating ppscore documentation
Loading ppscore
-- Building --------------------------------------------------------- ppscore --
Setting env vars:
* CFLAGS    : -Wall -pedantic
* CXXFLAGS  : -Wall -pedantic
* CXX11FLAGS: -Wall -pedantic
√  checking for file 'C:\Users\jtl\src\r_packages\ppscore/DESCRIPTION' (672ms)
-  preparing 'ppscore': (692ms)
√  checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... 
-  checking for LF line-endings in source and make files and shell scripts
-  checking for empty or unneeded directories
-  building 'ppscore_0.0.0.1.tar.gz'
Error: right is not a string (length 1 character)

I had exactly the same issue. I ran
devtools::check(vignettes = FALSE)
followed by
devtools::check(vignettes = TRUE)
and the problem disappeared.

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately that didn't fix my error. But I think there's some broader issue with my setup since every time I attempt to build the file it tries to build it on my Desktop for no reason that I'm aware of.

Update: 9/7/2020

In case anyone eles runs into this issue, I think I figured out my issue. I had made a change to my registry so that the command prompt starts on a specific path rather than the windows default. I think that caused problems during package compilation with where the packages thought they were vs. where they actually were.

Changing my command line back to the default seemed to solve the problem.