Extracting the logistic regression model from this tuned workflow (in tidymodels)?

I am creating logistic regression model using some data from patients in an Intensive Care Unit. The model seeks to predict if a patient is likely to live or die in the next 7 days based on their response to a certain treatment.

For this I am using the tidymodels suite in R. I have successfully trained and tuned an elastic net logistic regression model, but I want to see the specific models that have been created (i.e. which variables are in that model, break down the weighting it is giving each variable, etc). I am very close, but I just can't quite get the last little step.

My workflow is as follows. Initial data splitting:

proning_initial_split28 <- 
  raw_proning_mortality %>% 
  initial_split(prop = 0.9, strata = mortality_28)

proning_modelTrain_28 <- 
  proning_initial_split28 %>% 
  training()

Creation of k-fold object with 5 folds-

lr_v_fold <- 
  vfold_cv(data = proning_modelTrain_07,
           v = 5, 
           repeats = 5, 
           strata = mortality_28)

Creation of recipe for data processing-

lr_recipe <- 
  recipe(proning_modelTrain_28, formula = mortality_28 ~ .) %>% 
  step_rm(mortality_07) %>% 
  step_dummy(all_factor_predictors(), -mortality_28) %>% 
  step_impute_bag(all_predictors()) %>% 
  step_corr(all_predictors(), threshold = 0.9) %>% 
  step_zv(all_predictors()) %>% 
  prep()

Creation of model and tuning grid for model-

lr_model_01 <- 
  logistic_reg(mode = 'classification',
               engine = 'glmnet',
               penalty = tune(),
               mixture = tune()) %>% 
  set_args(maxit=1e+06)

lr_tuning_grid <- 
  grid_max_entropy(penalty(),
                   mixture(),
                   iter = 2000)

Creation of final workflow to bring it all together. I have passed the control_grid() instructions to both save the predictions made and to save the model which is generated at each step-

lr_workflow <- 
  workflow() %>% 
  add_model(lr_model_01) %>% 
  add_recipe(lr_recipe) %>% 
  tune_grid(resamples = lr_v_fold,
            grid = lr_tuning_grid,
            metrics = metric_set(sens, spec, ppv, npv, roc_auc),
            control = control_grid(save_pred = T, 
                                   extract = extract_fit_parsnip))

cannot access the models within this final workflow object. lr_workflow$.extracts seems to contain the models (example below).

However, getting much deeper is difficult.

The above image shows item [[25]. I can go in part of this with lr_workflow$.extracts[[25]]$.extracts[1], but the output I get is as follows-

[[1]]
parsnip model object

Call:  glmnet::glmnet(x = maybe_matrix(x), y = y, family = "binomial",      alpha = ~0.0505244575906545, maxit = ~1e+06) 

Df  %Dev Lambda
1    0  0.00 4.4620
2    1  0.16 4.0660
3    1  0.33 3.7050
(continues for a total 100 rows)

How can I get a better breakdown of any of the logistic regression models I have trained? By this I mean a breakdown that outlines the coefficients that apply to each variable, deviance, residuals, AIC, etc.

most generally theres a convention in R that a model with coefficients should have an associated method that implements coef() as a way to access those coefficients.
simple example

x <- 1:5; coef(lm(c(1:3, 7, 6) ~ x))
#(Intercept)           x 
#       -0.7         1.5 

generic R documentation can be found by

?coef

furthermore tidymodels includes broom which has tidyfriendly ways to access model info. glance() comes to mind

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.