Error when trying to load a shiny app after trying to install the devtools version

Im facing an unusual error when trying to load a shiny app which was working fine until I tried to install shiny from devtools::install_github("rstudio/shiny") while until recently I was using the CRAN version. The devtools installation failed and now I cannot even load my shiny app even when Im trying to use a different working directory with shiny installed from CRAN. Specifically I get :

shiny::runApp()
Error: .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'shiny', details:
  call: .Call("_httpuv_getRNGState", PACKAGE = "httpuv")
  error: "_httpuv_getRNGState" not available for .Call() for package "httpuv"

Any ideas?

I had the same problem and what I did was update all the packages with the function

update.packages()

Next I reinstalled the library "shiny" ;

install.packages("shiny", repos = c("http://rstudio.org/_packages", "http://cran.rstudio.com"))

I answered "yes" to the question
"Do you want to install from sources the package which needs compilation?"
And the error disappeared.

you may need to run update.packages() multiple times due to errors caused by missing libraries depending on your OS. so you will be better off passing ask=FALSE. update.packages(ask=FALSE)

For future reference, this is the same as: https://github.com/rstudio/shiny/issues/2054

The solution for that user was to run:

install.packages("Rcpp")
install.packages("httpuv")
install.packages("shiny")