Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘stats’ in inDL

I've a shared Windows Server 2016 desktop I have several data scientists using. They are using Rstudio version 1.1.442 with R 3.6.1. with normal "user" access

Multiple "user" accounts have access to the server. Specifically for one user it appears to be applying a different configuration. After 2 windows profile refresh of her account and mine which should then get the same exact settings her account loaded with like 2-3x the # of packages default.

She gets the error at startup:
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘stats’ in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...):
unable to load shared object 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.6.1/library/stats/libs/x64/stats.dll':
LoadLibrary failure: The specified module could not be found.

During startup - Warning message:
package ‘stats’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found
Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
unable to load shared object 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.6.1/library/stats/libs/x64/stats.dll':
LoadLibrary failure: The specified module could not be found.

I've discovered that for specifically if I made an administrator, re-login, and launch RStudio then it starts without error.

The problem with that is her accounts is not unique from everything I can find. It is a normal user account no different then other users, but this specifically happening to her. I've tried the following:
*Give user's account group Modify permission to C:\Program Files\R
*Configured Windows Environmental Variable R_LIBS_USER. Confirmed library updated, same error
*Give users group Full Control to the stats directory mentioned above
*Replacing the default R folder with mine
*The only thing that worked was add the users to the local admin group which did work, but it's only required for this one account. running as "user" works for everyone else.

I'm definetly not a RStudio guru, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Hi,

These types of errors usually happen when there are issues with the PATH variable as explained in this similar post

I don't know if a remote desktop can change the PATH variable for different users, but it's worth exploring I guess. I have no experience with remote desktops, so I can be wrong, but who knows ... :slight_smile:

PJ

That's where I got confused I looked windows levels path variable and it matched for both working and non-working user.

So the path from my problem user is:

Sys.getenv("PATH")
[1] "\usr\bin;$P{PATH}"
Sys.which("stats.dll")
stats.dll
""

mine is:

Sys.getenv("PATH")
[1] "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.6.1\bin\x64;C:\Oracle\product\12.2.0\client_32;C:\Oracle\product\12.2.0\client_32\bin;C:\Oracle\product\12.2.0\client_64;C:\Oracle\product\12.2.0\client_64\bin;C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_64\bin;C:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\client_32\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\system32;C:\Program Files\Citrix\Virtual Desktop Agent\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\150\DTS\Binn\;C:\Users\camshaw.IDIR\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;"
Sys.which("stats.dll")
stats.dll
""
Ok so cool so I have a pretty clear pointer as to what my issue how do I fix it? The "windows" path variable is still accurate for this user.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.