Error on version 3.6 on mac

Hi all,

I just updated R to version 3.6 and I have the latest version of RStudio 1.2.1335. I'm running on a Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and I never had any major issues with it - until this R update.

Essentially, running the default rmarkdown document with the following chunk:

knitr::opts_chunk$set(echo = TRUE)

will lead RStudio to crash, printing repeatedly on the console the error message:

Error: option error has NULL value
Error: option error has NULL value
Error: option error has NULL value
Error: option error has NULL value

(repeat ad nauseam)

So, my google fu returned the following issue on GitHub:

which basically points out that there might be an issue with .Rprofile. Apparently there is some bug with error handling, in that a line options(error = ) is causing trouble, and deleting that line fixes the problem.

The thing is, my .Rprofile is empty, I don't have one in my project, nor in my home directory, nor in R HOME. So I can't delete what doesn't exist.

If I add a line with some error handling option sure thing, I get the same error as referenced in the GitHub issue. Not very helpful.

The solution suggested,

A temporary workaround is to set rstudio.errors.suppressed to FALSE in your .Rprofile as well.

doesn't work for me either, unless this involves something different than a line like

options(rstudio.errors.suppressed = FALSE)

on .Rprofile.

So I am at a loss on what to do, other than revert back to R 3.5.3 and wait for patch 3.6.1.

─ Session info ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 setting  value                       
 version  R version 3.6.0 (2019-04-26)
 os       macOS Sierra 10.12.6        
 system   x86_64, darwin15.6.0        
 ui       RStudio                     
 language (EN)                        
 collate  en_US.UTF-8                 
 ctype    en_US.UTF-8                 
 tz       Europe/Warsaw               
 date     2019-05-14                  

─ Packages ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 package     * version date       lib source        
 assertthat    0.2.1   2019-03-21 [1] CRAN (R 3.6.0)
 cli           1.1.0   2019-03-19 [1] CRAN (R 3.6.0)
 crayon        1.3.4   2017-09-16 [1] CRAN (R 3.6.0)
 rstudioapi    0.10    2019-03-19 [1] CRAN (R 3.6.0)
 sessioninfo   1.1.1   2018-11-05 [1] CRAN (R 3.6.0)
 withr         2.1.2   2018-03-15 [1] CRAN (R 3.6.0)
1 Like

Same here, even for Rstudio 1.2.1511.


I just updated to the newest preview version of RStudio (1.2.1522-1) - and it now works for me (it hadn't last week on 1.2.1511 or 1.2.1335) - so try it from here:

1 Like

Hi all, thanks, I'll try the preview version as well.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.