Error notifications in R are colored red. I had a student last semester that could not see the color red and didn't even see them as grey. The lines were just not there for the student. Is there a way to recolor the error notifications to be a color that a color blind person could see?
I don't have an answer to this, but think this is a fascinating and important question for the R community!
In vanilla R, you can change the font colours quite easily.
Go to Edit and then GUI Preferences ....
At the bottomleft, you'll find options to change colours for the following:
backgroundnormaltextusertextpagerbgpagertexthighlightdataeditbgdataedittextdataeditusereditorbgeditortext
Select one of them and then you can choose the appropriate colour from the option Console and Pager Colours in your right.
But like Chris, I also don't have an answer, if your question is on RStudio. You can try different options provided in the Editor theme, though.
NOTE: This post is actually same as your earlier post here. Should these two topics be merged?
RStudio has several different options of how code and the gui is coloured. Tools > global options > appearance and then in the editor theme it can be changed. Unfortunately there is no a predefined one for colour blindness (and I reckon that is complicated as there are different types of colour blindness, AFAIK), but I am pretty sure some of the predefined ones would suit for different colour blindness, specially those with dark background.
.
Maybe having a basic theme, with white background and black letters (or the opposite) should be an easy to implement thing? I don't see at RStudio options, and while it may look boring to many (not a problem for them, just choose other), it may help others.
cheers
I was actually looking for some custom themes online, predefined for colour blindness. I couldn't find any, but then I came across TmThemeEditor.
This site will provide you a lot of options to generating a suitable custom theme. You'll just have to choose one, or you may need to modify a little bit depending on the requirements.
Then, you can just download this as a .tmTheme file and added to RStudio via Tools > Global Options... > Appearance > Add.You'll probably need the
xml2 to convert it to .rstheme file. There are detailed guidelines (with pictures) here.
Hope this helps.
Tht would help a lot, but I still think a basic theme for anyone won;t hurt either. I have never relized that problem til I meet someone in academia with it.
Well, it would be bad looking for many, but good enough for others, and that should be a big issue at the team of RStudio?
Having many colours around is amazing until is not. I and other mates take care as much as we can (and some journals do it too), but for a full 'eyed' guy is hard to imagine how bad can be a beauty plot to some others. And colour blinded people is out of most efforts to integrate and balablabla....
Best
Fer
Would you mind filing this as a bug report at https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues? We plan specifically to improve the accessibility of the product in v1.3 and having this on the issue tracker will make sure we make this possible.
I think I submitted the bug report, but I am not sure I did it correctly. I hope I did and the change can be made in the next version.
Looks great! The link for reference: