Error in loading "lme4" and "Matrix" packages to create a generalized linear mixed-effects model

Hello! I am having trouble with creating a generalized linear mixed-effects model using the "lme4" package. Bear with me - I'm a new RStudio user and a first time poster.

This is the error I'm receiving:

*Error in initializePtr() : *

• function 'cholmod_factor_ldetA' not provided by package 'Matrix'*

This is what my code currently looks like:

install.packages("readr")
library(readr)
install.packages("tidyverse")
library(tidyverse)
install.packages("ggplot2")
library(ggplot2)
install.packages("lme4")
library(lme4)

tools::package_dependencies("Matrix", which = "LinkingTo", reverse = TRUE)[[1L]]
install.packages("lme4", type = "source")
library (lme4)
library (Matrix)

beehavior <- read.csv("beehaviorln3.csv", header=TRUE)
View(beehavior)

linht <- glmer(LnHandling ~ Genus + Flower + (1|Site), family = poisson, data = beehavior)
summary(linht)

I have tried beginning again in a new session, uninstalling and re-installing packages, changing how I install "lme4" and everything I can think of. Another forum I found said to try installing it from the source, which is where that code came from. It looks like I have an up-to-date version of the package. Does anyone have suggestions on things I can try? Thank you.

I gave your code a try (substituting the "iris" database for your data and tweaking the model formula somewhat whimsically) and got a different but similar message regarding a function not provided by Matrix. I then followed the instructions from the top answer here, specifically the bit about forcing R to use the CRAN repository to reinstall both Matrix and lme:

oo <- options(repos = "https://cran.r-project.org/")
install.packages("Matrix")
install.packages("lme4")
options(oo)

After restarting the R session (from within RStudio), I reran the code and it appeared to work (albeit with 50 or so unprinted warnings -- but at least it created the model).

1 Like

This is an incompatibility in Matrix, if I remember correctly, and the solution is indeed to reinstall packages in the right order: [R-pkg-devel] Note to repository maintainers about ABI change in Matrix 1.6-2

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help! I didn't get the error this time and I think it ran, but I also got the 50+ warning messages (seemingly because none of my x-values are integers). I also did not get the summary when I ran the "summary(linht)" line - nothing came up. Do you know why this may be?

I think it's due to the non-integer data. I hit the same thing using the iris data set. Then I rounded the four measurement columns to integer values and reran the fit. There was a warning about a singular fit, but summary displayed.

You should probably look into whether the model you are using is appropriate for your data.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.