ERROR: dependencies

Hi All,
I recently got a new computer. When I try to install a package, I am getting the following error message pasted below. I have version 3.2.2. of R. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Thanks,
Jamie

Warning: running command 'make -f "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.2/etc/i386/Makeconf" -f "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.2/share/make/winshlib.mk" SHLIB="backports.dll" OBJECTS="dotsElt.o dotsLength.o init.o"' had status 127
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'backports'

  • removing 'C:/Users/jconnarn/Documents/R/win-library/3.2/backports'
    Warning in install.packages :
    installation of package ‘tidyverse’ had non-zero exit status

Is there a specific reason you have such an old version of R? Current is 3.5.3 and 3.6.0 is about to be released. If you have a chance, I can highly recommend updating R itself.

Also, since you are on Windows, you need to have Rtools to install packages the require compilation. Keep in mind that Rtools is not an R package, but external tool that you install by itself.

I don't use Windows myself, so not sure what's the best approach to install it, but I'm sure you can find some more info online.

This is the link for downloanding and installing Rtools
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/