Can't log in to Posit Workbench after install Posit Connect

I have a Rocky 8 (based on RHEL 8) server on which rstudio-server "2023.06.0+421.pro1 Workbench (Mountain Hydrangea) for RHEL 8" was installed and working normally, using the default system R (4.3.0, installed in /usr). I needed to install Posit Connect in addition, but I got error messages about some of its (install) files conflicting with that version of Workbench, and so I upgraded rstudio-server to "2023.09.0+463.pro11 Workbench (Desert Sunflower) for RHEL 8" and then installed Connect " v2023.09.0; Build v2023.09.0-0-g3448da6cf4". Because Connect couldn't find the system R, since it wasn't in /opt, I followed the instructions for installing R 4.2.3 in /opt and symlinking in /usr/local/bin, and afterwards Posit Connect is working fine. However, I can no longer log into Workbench. PAM is still working, as I get messages in /var/log/rstudio/rstudio-server/rserver-pam.log if I supply an intentionally incorrect username/password, and the login page will show the error as expected. However, with correct credentials, the login page simply refreshes, and there are no updates to any log file in /var/log/rstudio/rstudio-server/, nor error messages in dmesg in /var/log/messages. I did try adjusting /etc/rstudio/r-versions to restrict the versions back to just the system one under /usr, in case it was the new R version causing a problem, but that didn't change anything.

Miscellaneous notes:

• at start up, the systemd logs show a warning " /usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver: /lib64/libpq.so.5: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/rstudio-server...", but I'm not sure if this is related because it was occurring before when logins were working.

Ah, I resolved this -- I didn't mention one configuration change made on the server which I was sure was unrelated, which was that I replaced a self-signed certificate with a properly signed one and switched to connecting via a hostname instead of IP. I am using nginx, and the proxy pass to rstudio-server on port 8787 was missing:

proxy_set_header X-RStudio-Root-Path /rstudio;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto https;

For whatever reason these weren't necessary when connecting on https://<ip-address>/rstudio, or else some change from 2023.06.0 to 2023.09.0 made these required.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.