Can you have a "post" be a direct hyperlink to a web page, app, or some other end point?

I am currently setting up a distill blog site and have a need to link directly to non-post endpoints. However, I would still like these "articles" to show up in my listing page. Imagine I have an "article" that links directly to a web page (e.g. community.rstudio.com) or to a shiny application.

Why would I want to do this?
I would still like to leverage all the metadata to populate on article/posts listing page -- I get the description, publish date, author, preview image, and categories/tagging.

For example, say I have a shiny app that uses the tidyverse and is about forecasting -- our YAML might look like this:

---
title: "Tidyverse Forecasting App"
description: |
  This is a shiny application that covers forecasting time series.
author:
  - name: Jason Aizkalns
date: 11-01-2021
output:
  distill::distill_article:
    self_contained: false 
categories:
  - tidyverse
  - forecasting
---

As a result, this shows up in the listing page, but also the category listing pages for tidyverse and forecasting (nice!). However, I don't need an "actual post" when someone clicks on this article. I just need them to launch or redirect immediately to the shiny application.

Can I do this somehow in the YAML? Or some other method?

Even better if I can set it to open in a new tab like (<a href="" target = "_blank"></a>).

+++

NOTE: I am not interested in embedding via an iframe or knitr::include_url or htmltools::includeHTML. I would really like to just "go" to the page. Think a gallery of shiny apps or existing applications / HTML documents, maybe bookdown documents (kind of like a catalog, discovery page, feels similar to connectwidgets).

+++

I don't think that is possible. This would be a feature request for distill.

However, you may be able to do this by creating a post but using a HTML redirect as content so that your user don't see the post but is directly redirected.

I think this could be possible with distill (but didn't try), either by tweaking the header-includes part.

Thank you. After poking around for a few hours, I would agree. Thank you for the nudge on redirects -- something I still might explore and I'll try and post back here and/or on SO if I'm successful.

I ended up going static gallery/portfolio page instead.

This feels (?) like a gap, however, in the R ecosystem. I think connectwidgets is closing this gap , but might be a little tool-server specific.

1 Like

Which exactly is the gap ? Sorry I may have not completly follow

Sorry, I can be more clear. Just a simple "search and discovery" tool of various data products (e.g. Rmarkdown, interactive HTML, Shiny, APIs). Think a landing page with tags/categories and then some other meta data (maybe author, update/modify date) that can be filtered with select-ize dropdowns, search, checkboxes, radio buttons, or filters. Very similar to e-commerce shopping site, but instead browsing apparel/products, you're browsing peoples' data outputs/works.

Airbnb open-sourced Knowledge Repo which is similar in spirit.

I think this is starting to happen with connectwidgets.

In my experience, once organizations get to 3+ data scientists / data analysts, these artifacts start to scatter all over the place. Wheels get reinvented. Things can get siloed or, worse, go unnoticed. Even worse, they stay on a laptop/desktop and never really go "public".

Just get them all "landed" somewhere as a springboard for search, discovery, socialization, democratization, and collaboration.

Probably too big of an ask/scope, but it feels like we're really close with distill/blogdown/connectwidgets.

FWIW, I landed on a solution with bootstrap + filterizr and a mild templating system based on a JSON file giving all the properties for a "card" or "body of work" (e.g. author, title, description, categories, URL). To add a new work, people just add a record to the JSON file.

That is a really interesting idea.

I think some people do that using blogdown and a portofolio-like theme, but I understand that something more output of the box with YAML entry for example would work.

In similar fashion we use a gallery for our example page in pkgdown website like Example sites • blogdown
No advanced feature like filtering and all I see the point.

I'll note that somewhere - hard to open a feature request somewhere because it is something cross project. Thanks for sharing this idea!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.