Art Picture of the Day - Shiny Contest Submission

Art Picture of the Day

Authors: Trevin Flickinger

Abstract: When you visit this Shiny app, you'll be greeted by a daily artwork from the Art Institute of Chicago, courtesy of their public API. The app displays the artwork along with its title, artist's name, and, when available, alternative text for accessibility. At the bottom of the page, you'll find links to the project's GitHub repository, the Art Institute of Chicago API, Shiny, and the Bluesky profile for the "Art Picture of the Day" bot.

Full Description: ArtPOD is a Shiny app that presents a daily artwork from the Art Institute of Chicago's API. The app dynamically fetches artwork details such as the image, title, artist name, and creation year, displaying them in a clean and organized layout for users to enjoy.

The motivation for this project was to explore Python and experiment with Shiny for Python, as I typically work with R and Shiny for R. This project was a fun and educational way to delve into a new language’s capabilities while applying what I learned from Hadley Wickham's "R in Production" workshop at this year's Posit Conference. Specifically, I wanted to incorporate GitHub Actions to automate tasks, and I used a separate repository to fetch and update the artwork data daily via GitHub Actions.

ArtPOD was inspired by the Astronomy Picture of the Day website and was developed with the help of several large language models (LLMs), including ChatGPT, Claude, and Shiny Assistant.

Shiny app: Posit Connect Cloud
Repo: GitHub - trevinflick/ArtPOD

Thumbnail:
artpod4_cropped

Full image:

2 Likes