Are there problems with the readoffice package?

Hi!
anybody can help me with readoffice packege, I do not know why I can not install this package

install.packages("readOffice")
Installing package into ‘C:/Users/Raquel/Documents/R/win-library/3.5’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
probando la URL 'https://cran.itam.mx/bin/windows/contrib/3.5/readOffice_0.2.2.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 646051 bytes (630 KB)
downloaded 630 KB

package ‘readOffice’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Warning: cannot remove prior installation of package ‘readOffice’

The downloaded binary packages are in
C:\Users\Raquel\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpeudlyL\downloaded_packages

and when I want to use the package I get the error
Error: object 'docx' not found

Hi, @Raque,

I have this similar experience before. I will share my way to solve this kind of problem.

• In the console, type .libPaths() or find.package (@cderv) and get the package path in your computer.
  • Go to the path and delete the package folder
  • Reuse install.package() function to try.

If in this way, it also fail. I suggest you can install this package from github in the developing version.

1 Like

Advice by @EconKid is good. I would add that you take care to install package in a new clean session. Otherwise, old version of package or irs dependencies can be loaded and it can cause error.

You should be able to install.packages("readOffice') without having warning.

Bonus:
to find a package installed location you can use

find.package("readOffice")
1 Like

Just for future reference, if you are worried that a package is failing to install due to an actual problem with the package (compared to a problem specific for your machine) you can always check the build reports here. In addition, many packages have associated Github repos (the readoffice package has one here) where you can check for reported issues that may concern systems that are somewhat different than CRANs build systems (and might be similar to yours).

2 Likes