Advice for texinfo Upgrade on Linux Server

Hi,

This is more of a request for Linux server help than R, but hopefully somebody may be able to provide some advice.

I have very old versions of R (3.5.1) and RStudio server (free version 1.1.453) running on an old cloud server at work with Oracle Linux Server 7.5 (which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5).

The people who set it up (ca. 2018) have long since left the group and I no longer have external internet access for it, so I'm not able to update any of the components myself.

The installation works fine, but it is failing its regular patching and security scans.

The offending package (or at least the first one to product an error) is texinfo-tex-5.1-4.el7.x86_64. It appears that the updated texinfo-tex-5.1-5.el7.x86_64 would be required.

I think much of this may have originally been installed from the EPEL repository using yum, but I cannot be certain.

I should be able to request IT to install this for me, but I really don't want the existing R/RStudio components to break in the process.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about how packages/programs are recognised in Linux, so I don't know what the best approach would be:

• Is it enough for texinfo-tex-5.1-5.el7.x86_64 to be installed or should texinfo-tex-5.1-4.el7.x86_64 also be removed?
  • Will R recognise the updated texinfo package or must R be reinstalled after texinfo?
  • Could texinfo be removed entirely if I don't need any pdf document facilities? Could html documents still be created via Rmarkdown in that case?
    (R Installation and Administration only appears to mention texinfo in relation to pdf documents).

I realise that the "correct" answer may well be to update everything (the OS and R/RStudio) to recent versions, but I am trying to buy some time by passing the security scans before I'm forced to deal with a major OS upgrade.

Thanks for any help,
Martin

Edit: Added Rmarkdown tag.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.