Add a bioinformatics Tag to this forum

I think it would be useful to add a "biology" and/or "bioinformatics" tag to the Posit Community.

There is currently a bioconductor tag, but this is mostly used for problems with installation from Bioconductor. Recently there has been quite a bit of software developed in R and used by biologists, in particular Seurat; but for example pheatmap is commonly used by biologists.

Some examples: this recent one from STafrimR , that unanswered one from asinghnl (I could have answered if I had seen it in time), that unanswered one from Snur... There are also pheatmap cases like this from emmlemore or that from muf0205. All of these examples are cases where a biologist or bioinformatician should be able to provide better answers than other forum users, but would only find the questions by scrolling through recent questions.

It could be a Category, but I don't think there are that many posts to justify it. I don't think there is currently a relevant tag, or if there is, it's hard to find.

A tag is simple (already done) but I think you are not getting a category any time soon

2 Likes

That's great, thank you!

Thanks for the answer andresrcs!

We generally are reluctant to create new categories. These are exclusive and hierarchical. Where tags can appear on a topic in any categories. (And very open to adding new tags!)

And then since this is Posit forum, it’s mostly organized around Posit products and product teams. Each gets a category and those teams keep an eye on topics related to their product they support.

So the thinking is with a topic involving, say, biology; Bio questions on Shiny, those would appear under #shiny. Bio questions on R Markdown under #r-markdown.

Again, very happy to add any new tag. Folks with high enough trust level can create a new tag. Feel free to message me and I’m happy to create one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.