Quarto PDF not auto-refreshing in PDF Expert on macOS Sonoma

Hello RStudio Community,

I recently switched from using R Markdown (.rmd) to Quarto Markdown (.qmd) for writing reproducible documents in RStudio. However, I've noticed that when I knit my Quarto document to PDF, the generated PDF is not automatically refreshed in my PDF viewer, PDF Expert, on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224).

Previously, when I used R Markdown, the PDF would automatically reload in PDF Expert every time I knitted the document. This issue seems to be specific to Quarto, as I've tested exporting a Word document as a PDF and overwriting the earlier version, and the PDF is automatically and immediately refreshed in PDF Expert.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions on how to enable auto-refresh for Quarto-generated PDFs in PDF Expert on macOS.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
R

Update: I recently tried rendering ("knitting") .rmd files in RStudio, and the result PDF is refreshed (reloaded) immediately in PDF Expert. So I think that isolates the issue to be unique to .qmd (vs. .rmd) rather than macOS or PDF Expert.

Does anyone have any ideas why PDFs generated by Quarto Markdown files are not automatically reloaded in the PDF reader (upon each compilation), but those generated by RMarkdown files are?

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated!