Problem with installing the compatible version?

Hi everyone,

I hope all is well!!

I have a question: I used RStudio before, but it was like 9 months ago so yesterday, I opened it but I saw that there was an update, so I clicked to update but I guess it's not compatible with my computer at this point. It's a bit old. I'm using macOS Mojave version 10.14.6, so I downloaded this 10.14 version:

RStudio Desktop Releases on Unsupported Versions of MacOS..

so I downloaded this version, but I'm not sure if it's the latest version of RStudio that I can use with my computer. How do I check that? So now I was trying to install packages, tidyverse, and I got some errors like this:

Warning in install.packages :

dependencies ‘broom’, ‘dbplyr’, ‘dplyr’, ‘ggplot2’, ‘googledrive’, ‘googlesheets4’, ‘haven’, ‘httr’, ‘purrr’, ‘readr’, ‘readxl’, ‘reprex’, ‘rlang’, ‘rvest’, ‘stringr’, ‘tidyr’, ‘xml2’, ‘glue’, ‘lifecycle’, ‘vctrs’, ‘withr’, ‘cpp11’ are not available

also installing the dependencies ‘fastmap’, ‘cachem’, ‘memoise’, ‘data.table’, ‘tidyselect’, ‘pkgconfig’, ‘generics’, ‘timechange’, ‘fansi’, ‘utf8’, ‘systemfonts’, ‘textshaping’, ‘conflicted’, ‘cli’, ‘dtplyr’, ‘forcats’, ‘hms’, ‘jsonlite’, ‘lubridate’, ‘magrittr’, ‘modelr’, ‘pillar’, ‘ragg’, ‘rstudioapi’, ‘tibble’

unable to access index for repository https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.4:

cannot open URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.4/PACKAGES'

Packages which are only available in source form, and may need compilation of

C/C++/Fortran: ‘fastmap’ ‘cachem’ ‘data.table’ ‘tidyselect’ ‘timechange’ ‘fansi’

‘utf8’ ‘systemfonts’ ‘textshaping’ ‘cli’ ‘jsonlite’ ‘lubridate’ ‘magrittr’ ‘ragg’

‘tibble’

Do you want to attempt to install these from sources?

y/n: y

installation of package ‘tidyverse’ had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in

‘/private/var/folders/d0/zls9vc895q56p2q20jyx74rm0000gn/T/RtmpvgcKOY/downloaded_packages’

Do you think it is because of the version I'm using? If it is, how do I make sure I'm using the latest and best version?

Thank you very much!! :smiling_face:

@Ilke_Kavusturan What version of R are you using? What happens when you try install in R outside of RStudio?

Version:
version
_
platform x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0
arch x86_64
os darwin15.6.0
system x86_64, darwin15.6.0
status
major 3
minor 4.0
year 2017
month 04
day 21
svn rev 72570
language R
version.string R version 3.4.0 (2017-04-21)
nickname You Stupid Darkness

I deleted both R and R studio to make sure I have the latest versions but latest versions were not compatible with my laptop.

Yeah, RStudio Desktop 1.4.1717-3 (the version you got) was the last one supported on MacOS 10.14. The reason I asked about installing in R is that it's possible that the version of R was too old. Some of the packages require more recent versions of R, such as ggplot2 which now requires R 3.5.1.

Well, I currently have two versions of R, the one I previously downloaded before, and when I click to it, I see this:

bit:

R version 4.2.3 (2023-03-15) -- "Shortstop Beagle"

Copyright (C) 2023 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing

Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)

But today, I thought I should also download anothee version of R and this is what I'm seeing when I'm clicking to it:

This installer will guide you through the steps necessary to setup R 3.4.0 (2017-04-21) -- "You Stupid Darkness" for Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or higher on your machine.

I dont know which one to keep

hi, which R version do you think I should have in this case? Thanks!!!

You'll probably need to use 3.6.3 or 4.2.3. Since you have 3.4.0 installed, you can try installing the packages with it in R (outside of RStudio) and see what happens; but my guess is that you'll see the same issues about dependencies not available, etc. I'm not certain, though.

If that's the case, R 3.6.3 might work for installing the package, and same with 4.2.3. But note that we didn't test or certify RStudio 1.4.1717 with R 4.2.3, which didn't come out till later.

by installing packages in R, do you mean I should just typein like install.packages('tidyverse') in console? When I do that I see error in install.p... couldnt find function:... and I am not sure what I should do at this point could you clarify**

Thanks!

Do you think I should try R studio cloud version? Not sure how that works but maybe it would be easier for me?

Yeah, install.packages('tidyverse') in an R console. I'm not sure why you're getting that error.

Posit Cloud (formerly RStudio Cloud) could be a good solution, since you don't have to worry about matching up a version of RStudio with your local machine. Though I don't know if there'd be incompatibilities with the browsers as the browser distributors stop supporting older operating systems (e.g.Google Chrome and MacOS 10.14). I'll ask if we have any guidelines on support for Cloud + browser + OS.

Maybe its because I still have the two version of R base package? should I delete one of them? and how can I use the cloud version? I need to start using asap. Thank you very much!

Hi, so I'm using the cloud version, but there's a problem with Tidyverse.Do you know why this is happening? And how can I fix this?

That's normal--if you just ran library(dplyr) in a new session instead of library(tidyverse) you'd see the same thing, just not in a pretty table:

> library("dplyr")

Attaching package: ‘dplyr’

The following objects are masked from ‘package:stats’:

filter, lag

The following objects are masked from ‘package:base’:

intersect, setdiff, setequal, union

So there wasnt a problem installing these packages?

Could you also answer my previous inquiry on which r base packages i should keep? Thanks

When using cloud version, how can I get the or import dataset from an Excel file since I cannot change the directory?

I mean when I click to file pane, I see an import dataset section, but when I click to from excel, I see file/ url, and there's a browse option in which you can search for the file name, but I cannot find the dataset I'm looking for in my computer, instead I'm just seeing the files I created before in the cloud. So is there a way to upload the dataset in your computer?

I think you mean the Environment Pane? It's the one with the "Import Dataset" button.

In the Files Pane, there's an upload button, a square with an upwards-facing arrow. Use that to upload the file to Posit Cloud. Then it'll be available with the Environment Pane's "Import Dataset" functionality.