Unable to load shared object on startup in RStudio only (R4.0.0 / RStudio 1.2.5042)

I have solved the problem since my original post - although I am not quite sure which one thing eventually fixed my issues
A couple of items that were useful:
I thought I had uninstalled everything prior to making a new install attempt, but I had overlooked the .Rproflie and the .Renviron files in my default directory. I had to get rid of those.

I had to go find a machine without issues to know what the output of Sys.getenv("PATH") should look like.
For reference, R is installed on my system in D:\Program Files\R\R-4.0.1\bin, so I expect to see
"D:\Program Files\R\R-4.0.1\bin\x64" somewhere in the text returned by Sys.getenv("PATH").

If you see the wrong folder referenced, or don't see your folder referenced at all, then try the steps 1-4 from http://yizhexu.com/2017/02/r-path/:

1. Verify R is installed in the following path: C:\Program Files\R\R-3.3.2\bin\x86
  2. Open the start menu and type in “View advanced system settings”, click on “Environment variables”
  3. Under “System variables”, select Path and click on edit.
  4. Click “New”, and add the folder address for R to there (C:\Program Files\R\R-3.3.2\bin\x86)
  5. Open windows power shell and type in Rterm or R.exe to launch R command line tool

My path variable was defined as "D:\Program Files\R\R-4.0.1\bin", instead of "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.3.2\bin\x86".

Note: if there's an incorrect environment variable, used the advanced system settings to fix it or delete it.

My steps after that:
I installed R 4.0.1. No problems.
I installed RStudio 1.3.959. No problems.

Because RStudio said I needed Rtools, I also installed Rtools40.

I did the checks recommended in jtleek's slide show: Verify Rtools installation at
http://jtleek.com/modules/01_DataScientistToolbox/02_10_rtools/#6

install.packages("devtools")
library(devtools)
find_rtools()

This should return TRUE in the console if your Rtools installation worked properly

Then I did the last few instructions from the Rtools installation page:
In R, entered:

writeLines('PATH="${RTOOLS40_HOME}\\usr\\bin;${PATH}"', con = "~/.Renviron")

Restarted R, then entered:

Sys.which("make")
                              make 
"D:\\rtools40\\usr\\bin\\make.exe" 

I also tried the test of

install.packages("jsonlite", type = "source")

..which was successful.

I hope this helps!

2 Likes