problem with the mutate function ??

I am guessing based on similar experiences and frustration therein as a 30 minute activity has taken hours. Things to try

1. look for spaces or special characters accidentally typed in. "1904" is not always the same as "1904 " or " 1904" though one clue can be that the type of the column is character rather than the expected numeric. Sometimes people include a special character for missing data. A period is easily lost in a sea of floats.
  2. Try saving the file as ASCII (simple text) and then resaving it in the original format. This conversion can drop special characters (but not always).
  3. If possible save a copy of the file, delete rows 1300 through 1305 and run again. If the program works there is an issue in the data. If that does not solve the problem is there a matrix or some data structure that is not configured right? Is this a memory issue?
1 Like

Thank you for your reply I will eventually try but i prefer not to change the original file and since i was able to import it few month ago i don't see why it wouldn't work in the same way than before.
Also someone on a repost of this manage to find another way to import it so don't worry to much about it for now and thank you a lot for those hints !

You are welcome.
Just for others who might be reading. In debug I advocate changing the data as needed, but I always keep a copy of the unchanged original. After the bug is fixed all of the changed files are discarded.
As long as you are downloading data from an external source it is always possible that the file is changed by someone else. The change could be deliberate or accidental.

best of luck

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.