FJCC,
I think that's right, but the problem is it's not just one package. When I go to install glue, it has dependencies that also are outdated, and I get the same errors that those need to be reinstalled. In the end, I have to manually reinstall around 100 packages one-by-one. It's a horrible mess. Why can't R automatically reinstall those dependencies? Shouldn't dependencies = TRUE take care of it recurrsively?
If it's an issue of R not knowing what library to install glue, then that's why I was trying to delete the extra paths. I just want one place where R looks for everything.
I confess to being especially frustrated, because R does not experience these problems on Mac or PC. When I upgraded to R 4.0 on my Mac, I simply re-installed tidyverse, and R automatically reinstalled any dependencies that were out-of-date. These problems are only experienced in the Linux environment.
Thanks so much for your help!
Best,
J.B.